Monday, January 25, 2010

New semester, new start. I anticipate and adore winter break as much as the next student, but by the time January is in full force, I start itching to return to academia, land of plenty. I thrive on being surrounded by other people my age, whose minds, hopefully, are not yet penetrated by harshness and cynicism.

Recently, I found myself in a discussion about mental conditioning. Before you write me off as a total square, hear me out. If no one had ever told you that something was impossible, that you couldn't do it, how would your mind be different? If mom and dad hadn't told you that you couldn't fly, would you still think that if you tried hard enough, you might lift right off the ground and go float on a cloud? If no one ever said that there weren't monsters under the bed, would you still do a running leap onto the comforter every night? What does a mind unscathed by reality look like? Would you eventually figure everything out on your own? Probably, but it would be fun along the way!

1 comment: