Thursday, January 28, 2010

"Trying to make order out of my life was like trying to pick up a jellyfish." Gene Tierney

Today I found myself enraptured by a surprising topic: invasive jellyfish.

I've always viewed these mysterious bubbles of gelatin as fascinating creatures despite their bad reputation, spawned from the threat of a nasty sting. Many people have seen a jellyfish at an aquarium or maybe even on a beach. They appear gentle and non-threatening, completely absorbed by their own floating existence. So besides their predisposition for issuing the only reason why one human being should ever pee on another, what more harm could they do?

I give you the nomura jellyfish:


The nomura, a gentle giant in the most sincere form, has been accused of wreaking havoc on Japan's fishing industry in the past year. When caught in one of the comically expansive nets used by the fishermen, nomura is known to rip massive holes in it. For this, the planet-like creature is known as a menace of the worst kind. I find this accusation tragic, especially since the plan for any future nomura "invasions" is to monitor their populations and deal with them accordingly. Isn't the problem here the fishermen? Call me crazy and sentimental, but I'm pretty sure the jellyfish were here first.

It seems to me that the issue at hand is that the jellyfish are not too big for their world, but their world has become too small.

No comments:

Post a Comment